A Taste of Torqadia:
The information here is purely for sharing. By no means am I prescribing a menu for individuals. However, if you do want to follow the advice given below you do so as a person of regular disposition and mental acuity. This means that you are old enough to make decisions for yourself. If you have any allergies or serious issues with the foods and recipes do not eat them.
Nutrition is very important. Some of the simplest rules to remember:
“Eat like a caveman” or basically a hunter gatherer but with a sense of dignity. This means keeping your elbows off the table whilst munching through, berries, veg and meat when you can catch it.
Do not juice but you can blend. Why? Because you need the fibre to assist with digestion and maintain blood sugar levels.
Boil and grill, don’t fry.
Three Fist sizes – 1 of Meat and 2 of Veg
- Tip of Thumb = Approximately 1 tablespoon
- Fingertip = Approximately 1 teaspoon
- Fist = 1 cup of fruit or 1 medium whole, raw fruit
- Thumb = 1 ounce of cheese or meat/animal flesh(+) for protein
- One Cupped Hand = 1 or 2 ounces of dry goods (nuts, cereal)
- Palm = Size and width of palm, 1 unit of animal flesh for protein
A fantastic book for delicious modern recipes from a paleolithic shopping cart. I bought the book and I love the recipes, and feel great:
Below are several dishes which use quinoa, admittedly more of a neolithic type diet, very filling and a nice way to take baby steps towards a full caveman or paleo-diet.
Quinoa Italian Mushroom and Squash:
- Thinly cut garlic 1 clove
- Oregano finger tip
- Thyme finger tip
- Black pepper pinch
- Olive oil
- Mushrooms 2 handfuls chopped
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 Squash (Spaghetti, Acorn Butternut etc)
Turn oven on – 440
Cut and gut your squash. Place the squash upside down on a baking tray with a layer of water and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes
1cup of Quinoa add two cups of water, bring to the boil and simmer. For 15 minutes.
Drizzle the olive oil into a pan and warm it up. Do not over heat, its bad for you www.udoerasmus.com
Put the herbs and chopped garlic in the pan and allow to heat through then add the chopped mushrooms. You may need to add a bit of water, place a lid on for a couple of minutes. Empty contents of mushroom soup into the mixture and simmer.
Add the Quinoa to the mixture when done. Turn the squash up side down in a bowl and add the Italian Mushroom Quinoa sauce. Get a fork and yum it down.
Mediterranean sauce and Quinoa with Acorn squash:
Tonight’s extravaganza of epicurean delights comes to you by the fruit tomato and the herb basil. There are other players appearing by way of a guest appearance. Such as: garlic, balsamic vinegar, pepper, chilli powder and probably a bit of brown sugar if the melody proves to be too TART!!!!
Also we need to mention the co-star of acorn squash.
You are going to have a lot of sauce left over so either freeze it or use it over the next couple of days.
- 1 can of diced toms 796ml
- 1 can of condensed tomato soup 284ml
- 1 level teaspoon of basil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 desert spoon of balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch of chilli powder
Warm oven 440,
Cut and clean the acorn squash. Wipe the olive oil over the cut side of the squash lightly dust it with basil and garlic powder. Place to halves of the acorn squash, cut side down on a backing tray with a layer of water.
Warm the olive oil. Put the herbs and spices in the heated oil poor the tin of diced toms in the pot with the tin of condensed tom soup.
Bring to the boil. Then simmer
2 cups of Quinoa with 4 cups of water, put in a pot, bring to the boil then simmer for 15 mins. When the Quinoa is cooked mix it in with the tom sauce.
When the squash is cooked. Serve the tom sauce and Quinoa in the squash.
Roast vegetables and dip:
A great way to provide some snacks for home movie night and a nutritious meal:
Use a home made chickpea dip.
1 lemon juiced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 400g can chickpeas, drained
1 tbsp ground cumin
Put all ingredients into a blender, this feds about six folks.
Cook the veg by backing at about 440 for 40 mins, best to check randomly to see if they are done:
Cut up, carrots or yams or potatoes of parsnip. Make sure that they are all the same size.
Place the veg in zip lock bag, pour olive oil into the bag, add garlic powder and your favorite spices or herbs:
Potatoes and Parsnips are best with mixed Italian or rosemary and garlic
Yams are great with chipotle and garlic
Carrots are great with five spices
Once the veg and spices have been shaken in the bag place contents on to a backing tray and put them in the oven. Turn over in about 20 mins
Is there such a thing as a healthy burger?
lean beef for a start, If you are a hunter then use that meat. Wild game is much better for you. If you don’t like the taste, be an adult and broaden your horizons. Also, use herbs and spices.
Veg, very mportant, use spinach instead of lettuce, stacks of veg on the side.
A lil’t treat of cheese, grate the cheese its only a taste you need. A slice as thin as you can and as big as your palm. Divide hat in half, this will give yo the taste you require.
I like to use a whole grain or ancient grain wrap and chuck it all in. I can get one home made burger about the size of my palm into two wraps. Feels like I have had two burgers. My colon is really happy with me now. Time to treat your colons nicely folks – try some fiber with your burger eat more veg at the same time.
Ground Turkey and black bean burger:
Here you go:
- One can of black beans and wash/rinse from can
- Choice of spices and peppers up to you
- Chopped garlic
- Two handfulls of sunflower seeds or nuts of your choice grind them up into powder and place in bowl
- Mix all ingreediants into a bowl then divide up into handfuls as you would for a regular buger. Then place on the BBQ. Munch down with assorted green leaf and other burger sidings. Yummers!
Now the following information is from this website: http://www.quinoa.net/106.html
I love this food, it is quick and easy can be a base for a savory or a desert. It is a complete protien. I like to cook it with condensed soup. One cup of Qunioa 1 cup of condensed soup and 1 cup of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 to 20 mins.
Tomato soup with extra basil, garlic and chipotle chilli – Yummmers!
Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain; an average of 16.2 percent, compared with 7.5 percent for rice, 9.9 percent for millet, and 14 percent for wheat. Some varieties of quinoa are more than 20 percent protein.
Quinoa’s protein is of an unusually high quality. It is a complete protein, with an essential amino acid balance close to the ideal … similar to milk!
Quinoa’s protein is high in lysine, methionine and cystine. This makes it an excellent food to combine with, and boost the protein value of, other grains (which are low in lysine), or soy (which is low in methionine and cystine).
Rich & Balanced Source of Nutrients
Besides its unique protein, quinoa also provides starch, sugars, oil (high in essential linoleic acid), fiber, minerals, and vitamins.
Easy on the Stomach
Quinoa is light, tasty, and easy to digest. It is not sticky or heavy like most other grains, and it has a delicious flavor all its own.
Smoothy of Champions
Between 350 to 500 cal’s per glass depending on how you divide it up:
Feeds two or three small folk, or if you are really small, like ants, probably about a thousand.
- Cup of water
- Two handfuls of frozen spinach
- Half an Avacado
- One small tub of live Yogurt
- Handful of frozen mixed berries
- Handful of frozen peaches
- Top up with orange juice
Turn on the blender, wipe up the mess, put the lid on and turn on the blender again.
When the mix looks like you can drink it. Have fun – it is Awesome!
Squash ‘n’ Quinoa –
“Don’t turn your nose up, yer haven’t even tasted it yet”
Ok, standby – turn your oven on 440 will do for 20 to 30 mins.
- One acorn squash feeds two, so get your knife ‘n’ gut your squash.
- Next use some cooking oil to cover the squash, mind you don’t use to much. Only cover the cut side or the inside.
- Dust it with spices, since tonight I am using sesame oil I thought I would use garlic powder and all spice and see how it turns out. Usually its chilli powder and garlic.
- While that’s going on, put one cup of Quinoa one small tin of condensed cream of chicken soup and one and one half cup of water. Bring to the boil and simmer fo 15 to 20 mins, keep checking over the Quinoa for the last 5 mins.
- When they are both done put the Squash in a bowl, put the Quinoa in the squash and then put it all in your stomach – chew first.